We are the Parkinson Network of Mt. Diablo. Our mission is to provide information, resources, and social interaction to support people living with Parkinson’s Disease and their caregiving community. We fulfill this mission through monthly support groups for people with PD and caregivers; therapeutic yoga, exercise, and movement classes; monthly expert speakers on PD research and treatment; the Shaky Times monthly newsletter; the Tremble Clefs choral group; and an extensive library of books, journals, and pamphlets on PD.
Meetings and Activities
Due to the continuing pandemic, in-person meetings and classes are suspended. We are producing monthly recorded programs as well as live-streamed Lunch and Learn programs. See information below for online exercise and activity classes, as well as support groups. All of our recorded content is available on our YouTube channel. Sample the content and subscribe!
Multiple videos to keep you updated on important developments, resources and human stories in managing Parkinson’s Disease:
- Best of the web: American Parkinson’s Disease Association website tour
- Look Closer: a one-minute video to put things in perspective
- Parkinson’s Story Exchange: powerful video stories
- Ask the MD: Myths about Levodopa
- Demonstration: How to do LSVT BIG exercises
- The LARGE 10 Parkinson’s Program is derived from LSVT, just simpler
- Parkinson’s Minute: Apathy. Dr. Bas Bloem gives an overview of apathy & PD
- Ending Parkinson’s disease: interview with Dr. Ray Dorsey, co-author of Ending Parkinson’s
- Johnny B. Goode (live in NY with Michael J Fox)
For links to previous recorded programs, see the Meetings page.
April Lunch and Learn Program:
Wednesday, April 21 – 12-1 pm
Speaker: Mary Cochran Abraham, NP
Kaiser Permanente Memory Center
Topic: Deep Brain Stimulation:
An Overview of DBS
with time for questions
Mary Cochran Abraham is a Nurse Practitioner and Memory Specialist at Kaiser. She will explore the history of neuro-stimulation in treating tremor in Parkinson’s. She will explain the patient selection criteria, what the surgery entails, expected benefits and possible side effects.
Zoom meeting links will be sent in a PNMD email. If you are not on our mailing list, please request the link by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Shaky Times Newsletter
- We’re all in this Together!
- What is a Virus? Part II
- Ninety Years in a Nutshell
- Living with Intent
- Rhythmic Flow Taiko
Support Group Meetings on Zoom
Although we cannot gather in person, we have organized Support Group meetings on Zoom so that we can connect with one another.
Women with Parkinson’s – first Saturday
Men with Parkinson’s – small groups – various times
Caregivers – third Saturday
Tri-Valley Chapter -first and third Wednesdays
Contact information for these groups on the Meetings page.
Parkinson Exercise, Movement, Communication Classes
- Parkinson’s Wellness Recovery – Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
Gentle Yoga – Wednesday. Contact Petra Fibrichova at 510-520-4523, email@example.com.
- Yoga and Meditation Yoga on Thursdays 10-11 am. Free meditation on Friday, 10:30 – 11 am. Call Jodi Barry at 415-328-4123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Communication Group: Wednesday, 1-1:30 pm. Contact Sarah Talach, 925-232-1868, email@example.com.
- Rock Steady Boxing – Varied days and times. Locate a class
- Alexander Technique Group Class: Working on improving balance, walking, sitting, standing, and performing activities with greater ease. Contact Lena Hart at 917-806-7929 or lessons@alexandertechinqueSFBayArea.com. (On hiatus)
- Dance Moves Me! for Parkinson’s: Tuesdays, 3-4 pm on Zoom.
Contact Debbie Sternbach, 510-653-8362, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parkinson’s & the Art of Moving – The John Argue Method: Fridays, 3-4 pm
Contact Debbie Sternbach, 510-653-8362, email@example.com
- Improv to Improve Parkinson’s Disease: Monday and Friday, 2-3 pm. Contact Robert Cochrane, firstname.lastname@example.org, 702-575-8841.
Become a member today or renew your membership! Click on this link to join or renew online!
If you have any questions, please contact us at 925-939-4210, or email email@example.com.
To sign up for emails or re-subscribe to emails from the Parkinson Network of Mt. Diablo, Click Here
Mailing Address: P. O. Box 3127, Walnut Creek, CA 94598-0127