Wednesday, August 18 – Lunch & Learn – 12-1 pm on Zoom
Topic: Managing the Return of Parkinson’s Symptoms with
Unigue Inhaled Treatment
Speaker: Arshia Sadredin, MD
Including time for questions.
Zoom meeting links will be sent in a PNMD email. If you are not on our mailing list, please request the link by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Group Meetings on Zoom
PNMD is happy to announce that although we cannot gather in person due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are establishing online Zoom Support Group meetings to connect with one another. For more information, contact the respective Zoom group facilitator with your interest and questions.
Women with Parkinson’s – 1st Saturday, 9:30-11 am
contact Alexa Donahoe, email@example.com, 925-597-5099
Men with Parkinson’s – Call for times and groups
contact Derek Ransley, firstname.lastname@example.org, 925-944-0162
-Team A – Dennis Krauss – 2nd and 4th Saturday
-Team B – Mark Ouyang/Phil Hornig – 1st Saturday
-Team C – Derek Ransley – 2nd Tuesday
Caregivers – 3rd Saturday, 9:30-11:00 am
contact Janice Ransley, email@example.com, 925-944-0162
or Jan Alioto, firstname.lastname@example.org, 925-672-7207
Tri-Valley – 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 10:30-11:30 am
Support group for those with PD, family, and friends.
Contact Mary Behrendt, email@example.com
Recordings of Previous Programs
- Understanding mindfulness: a quick tour
- How mindfulness changes the emotional life of our brains (TED Talk)
- Understanding our sleep cycle (animation)
- How sleep changes over time – conversation with Davis Phinney
- Buddy up – Ask the MD how to end isolation
Topic: Planning for Incapacity: Estate Law and End of Life Planning
Speaker: Joan Grimes, Attorney
- Geriatric care manager. Interview with Margot Nijsure: questions, answers and guidance on managing PD.
- Brené Brown on empathy. Engaging animation. Explores the core of our emotional being.
- Professor Roger Barker from Cambridge University explores current and future of treatment research.
- Neurologist Eric Ahlskog from the Mayo Clinic breaks misconceptions regarding treatment for Parkinson disease.
Topic: The PD Avengers
Speaker: Tim Hague
Founding Member of PD Avengers
- Explore a wealth of valuable resources from Parkinson Movement Disorder Alliance including “Lunch with Docs.”
- Provoking & fascinating recent interview with Michael J Fox.
- Ask the MD. Simple advice on exercise.
- Parkinson’s expert Davis Phinney talks about power of affirmation, and the Zen of vacuuming.
- Judy’s story of living with PD, how DBS changed her life, and how to advocate for oneself.
- Parkinson’s Exercise Part 3 offers essential advice on developing goals, tracking progress.
- Best of the web: American Parkinson’s Disease Association website tour
- Look Closer: a one-minute video to put things in perspective
- Parkinson’s Story Exchange: powerful video stories
- Ask the MD: Myths about Levodopa
- Demonstration: How to do LSVT BIG exercises
- The LARGE 10 Parkinson’s Program is derived from LSVT, just simpler
- Parkinson’s Minute: Apathy. Dr. Bas Bloem gives an overview of apathy & PD
- Ending Parkinson’s disease: interview with Dr. Ray Dorsey, co-author of Ending Parkinson’s
Speaker: Mary Cochran Abraham, NP
Kaiser Permanente Memory Center
Topic: Deep Brain Stimulation: An Overview of DBS
- Best of the Web: Mediflix. Tour of a new video site focused on Parkinson’s.
- How PD can affect your visual world.
- Exercise is medicine for PD. Hand exercises by Petra Fibrichova.
- Being diagnosed with PD can be life changing.
- Exercise keeps PD on the ropes.
- New non-surgical technique to help control tremors.
- Is it true that the brain can heal itself? Lessons from salamanders
Speaker: Ethan Brown, MD
Topic: The Microbiome in Parkinson’s Disease
- Davis Phinney Foundation website tour
- Whispered ‘Ah’ exercise with Lena Hart
- Ask the Parkinson’s expert: Physical therapy
- World first trial for Parkinson’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Exercise Essentials – Part 2
Speaker: Bill Hammond, Computer Club of Rossmoor
Topic: Tips for Zooming
Speaker: Caroline Racine Belkoura, PhD, UCSF
Topic: Managing Stressors in the Time of COVID
- Best of the Web: Michael J Fox website tour
- Ask the PhD: New technologies to treat Parkinson’s
- Professor Bastiaan Bloem & Ending Parkinson’s
- Parkinson Exercise Essentials: Part 1 (INTRO)
- Jimmy Choi: Impact of Parkinson’s and the Unknown
Speaker: Aaron Daley, Answering Your Questions
Aaron Daley, MA- PD Center Coordinator
University of California, San Francisco
Parkinson’s Foundation Center of Excellence
350 Parnassus, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94117-0114
- Best of the Web: Nonmotor symptoms of PD
- Understanding sleep disturbances
- Movement tips for managing PD
- Canine companions: Do you need a dog?
- Personal PD journey
Davis Phinney Foundation Sidekicks Program
Speaker: Kayla Ferguson
- How to boost brain power
- How to take levodopa for Parkinson’s and why
- Chair yoga and tai-chi workout
- Michael J. Fox’s 2018 interview: his fight
How Parkinson’s Can Affect Speech, Swallowing and Voice
Speaker: Sarah Talach, Talach Speech Therapy, Inc.
- Parkinson’s Voice Project: How to preserve your voice
- AudAbility and MusicWorx: a music therapy approach for helping People with Parkinson’s
- History of the Parkinson’s Voice Project
- Michaela Lien: Exercises for People with Parkinson’s
- Linda Fodrini-Johnson, Eldercare:
Being Prepared in the time of COVID-19
- Alexander Technique: How to Sit Optimally
TOPAZ – Short Intro to a Parkinson’s Foundation clinical trial on bone health in Parkinson’s
- Carol Fisher: Gentle Yoga for Every Body
- Petra Fibrichova: Urban Pole Walking
- Lena Hart: Alexander Technique for People Living with PD
- Robert Cochrane on Improv to Improve Parkinson’s Disease
- Dr. Madan Kataria presents Laughter Yoga
- Sheryl Sandberg and Dr. Adam Grant: Resilience in a Crisis
- Dr. Rick Hanson, UC Berkeley: Being Resilient During Coronavirus
- Dr. Julia Allenyne, PMD Alliance: Practicing Wellness to Build Resilience
- Lena Hart on Alexander Technique
- Dr. Gerred Popejoy on Nordic Pole Working
- Aaron Daley, UCSF, answering frequently asked questions
- Carol Fisher leading a yoga relaxation exercise
- Heather Kennedy on Living with Parkinson’s
General Support Group – Walnut Creek (Suspended)
PNMD general support group meets on the third Saturday of each month from 9:00 AM until 12:00 noon at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2100 Tice Valley Blvd, Walnut Creek, CA 94595. Moderator is Bill Clinch. There is no charge, but membership is $50 per family per year.
FEEDBACK- Please give us your feedback from the meetings and the presentations. It helps determine content for future of PNMD events. Click on this link here- Feedback
9:00 to 10:15 a.m. – Three concurrent meetings:
- Men with Parkinson’s Disease meet in the Fireside Room at Grace Church. Contact person is Derek Ransley, 925-944-0162, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Women with Parkinson’s Disease meet in the Library at Grace Church. Contact person is Rosemary Way, 925-476-5661, email@example.com.
- Caregivers meet in the Sanctuary at Grace Church. Contact persons are Jan Alioto, 925-890-8937, firstname.lastname@example.org; Sara DeZerega, 925-377-1004, email@example.com; Janice Ransley, 925-944-0162, firstname.lastname@example.org.
10:15 to 10:45 – Refreshments in the Oak Room. The PNMD Library with books, flyers, and videos is open at this time. Please bring cut-up fruit or your favorite snack to share.
10:45 to 11:45 – Guest speaker.
Tri-Valley Support Group – Pleasanton (Suspended)
Tri-Valley support group meets on the second Saturday of the month, year-round, from 10 AM until 12:00 noon, at the Pleasanton Senior Center, 5353 Sunol Blvd., Pleasanton.
Facilitators are Mary Behrendt (925) 989-0209 and Norman Bardsley ((925) 831-9940.